Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Speed Cycle. Sort of.

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 48.8


If you've read my previous years of blogging this challenge, you're probably used to seeing that mileage total heading. I think it's fun to keep track of mileage (even though 30 Days of Biking isn't about miles). I don't know, I guess it makes me feel like I'm making progress or something. Anyway...

The first year I did this, I tracked my mileage as close to accurately as possible using GoogleMaps. This meant I had to remember everywhere I stopped along my routes, which was fairly time- and memory-intensive. It was annoying enough that it led me to sign up for Strava a month later, which I've used to log mileage ever since.

Most of the time, it's accurate. For whatever reason, I've been encountering some GPS issues recently that have led to bizarre and incredibly inaccurate routes like the one below, in which I've appeared to traverse hills and rivers in a straight line:


21.7 MPH is a great clip for a cyclist, amirite? At this point, I should reveal that ET is actually hiding inside that tricycle bin:


Because I'm a huge nerd and I value accuracy, I've since deleted the erroneous rides and input their mileage totals manually with the assistance of GoogleMaps. Annoying, yes. Worth it? Maybe. The above ride actually totaled out to around 6.1 miles, which means I can afford to go for a little evening ride now that the weather has broken.

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment