Sunday, April 15, 2018

Miles of Meditation

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 294.9


Yesterday, I had a rare completely open Saturday, so I took full advantage to finally get some "time for me." The weather was also exceptionally gorgeous for the first time since I can remember, so what to do? Why, take a long bike ride, of course.

Earlier in the week, I'd entertained the idea of bikepacking to a state park for the nite, but those plans ultimately fell through. I settled for a ride up the Schuylkill River with a planned stop or two along the way. I had two goals in mind: relaxation (yes, this is what I do to relax, you know this) and breaking in a new pair of shoes:


Those aren't cycling shoes. They're Merrell Trail Glove trail running shoes, which I like for when my biking adventures turn into hiking adventures on the fly as they sometimes do. 

The Schuylkill River Trail was packed on the southern end due to the aforementioned nice weather. Usually this is somewhat annoying, but I was out for relaxation, and the first true Spring day it's always nice to see so many people out enjoying the scenery. I mean, look at all the blossoms in bloom:


Once I got out of the area around Boathouse Row, Kelly Drive was actually closed off for a rowing tournament, so I took to the road for several miles. There wasn't much in the way of congestion after that, and before I knew it, I was at one of my intended stops, the Trek Bicycle Shop in Manayunk. I still have an unused gift card and was hoping to pick up a bag to mount to my top tube. They didn't have much in their selection as they just completed construction inside, so I moved on.

I rode all the way out to Bridgeport before I stopped again. I'd gotten word of a new microbrewery opening in the area, so I went exploring. It wasn't open yet, but the 10 minute detour wasn't all that bad, even if it did involve going up a 90-foot hill. Eventually I ended up at my second intended destination, Conshohocken Brewing's Bridgeport Brewpub:



I chose to go here as opposed to the original location on the SRT, which was swamped due to their anniversary celebration. The Brewpub does feature an outdoor seating area and beer garden, but I opted to spend a few minutes away from the sun. Considering I'd be on the bike for about 4 hours, I'd say I made the wise choice:


After a quick bite and a quick flight, I was back on my way to Philly. I did pause briefly near the original Conshohocken Brewery for a quick pic because I thought it looked neat:


I also stopped in for a water break. The place was still swamped, and I was once again glad I chose to ride a little bit further. I took a small detour on the ride home, opting to ride the less-congested MLK Drive for a bit. They close it on the weekends all Summer, in case you weren't aware, and riding with a full road at your disposal is always enjoyable.

As I got closer to the city, the wind really started to pick up (it's funny how that always happens near the end of a long ride), but I toughed through it to get home in under 4 hours (not including stops):


47 meditative miles and a day well spent. Mother Nature's not looking as kind today, so the timing is perfect for a maintenance day, both personally and for the bikes. I also have household chores to tend to and a hockey game to watch. Go Flyers.

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment