Thursday, April 5, 2018

Four for One

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 53.1


There's an old saying, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes." Some days it's actually true. Wednesday was one of those.

I began my morning route in the midst of a rather dense fog, which the old phone camera simply can't do justice:


The Eastern State Penitentiary is always a little creepy (and neat), even more so when it's shrouded in haze, like something out of a movie. A couple hours later, I was finishing up and the sun was shining brightly. I put my last delivery on the back of my bike instead of taking the big rig:


That was short-lived. Clouds moved in again as I was getting ready to ride home, and they opened up when I was near halfway. By the time I stopped for lunch at a cafe near my house, I was pretty soaked, as was my bike:


Hours later, it was sunny again. I rode to Center City around dinner time to partake in another Human Protected Bike Lane in support of Vision Zero, an initiative to reduce traffic fatalities to zero:



In case you haven't seen these before, the Philadelphia cycling community started doing this late last year in the wake of several traffic incidents (and a cyclist fatality), in hopes of raising awareness of Vision Zero. Yesterday's installment was brief, but effective. In the 3 or 4 times I've participated, I actually think this is the first time I've seen motorists roll down their windows to ask questions about what we were doing. There was one cyclist (oddly enough) who didn't support us. I didn't get a reason why out of her. In any case, it was a good end to a very strange day.

Day 5 looks to be a little more normal. We'll see what happens...

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment