Monday, April 16, 2018

What do May Flowers Bring?

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 329.2


If you know the answer to the "Dad Joke" in the title, start paddling.

As I mentioned yesterday, the absolutely gorgeous day we were gifted with on Saturday had yielded to windy, cloudy conditions by Sunday morning. As the evening wore on, things ramped up into steady rain showers overnight, and I awoke to a downpour this morning. On the map, it looked very much like death:


Shortly thereafter, I received a flash flood warning on my phone, which wasn't surprising at all. I waited it out as long as I could, and once the downpour had once again slowed to a steady rain, I headed out. Pick your battles, I suppose. I dressed accordingly but still ended up a little soaked, and I saw several downed trees on my ride in (I didn't stop for pictures, for obvious reasons). Tough to see, but so much for all that bike cleaning I did yesterday:


I do believe it's the sum of the parts that make the whole, and leaving the previous layer of dirt would have added another layer on top of it and yadda yadda yadda, but it's still mildly frustrating. I only get so many maintenance days, after all...

At any rate, my laundry delivery route was fairly uneventful with the exception of another flat tire (I'm up to three in three weeks now after zero in three years). The skies eventually cleared enough for a relatively stress-free commute home, for those willing to puddle-jump:


Of course, when you consider that some parts of the northeast and midwest were pounded with snow today (it is April 16th, by the way), the clouds and wind we were left with here in Philly don't seem all that bad.


Whatever the case, I'm no stranger to weathering these sorts of storms. It's all part of the adventure. Kudos to all of you who got out on a rough Monday morning and did the thing. The rest of this week is all downhill according to the forecast.

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment