Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Weird Wednesday

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 533.8


Wednesdays are typically the lightest days in terms of deliveries during my week, which usually translates to less riding. Today, that definitely wasn't the case.

I should start by mentioning that for the first time in what feels like forever (it was only 5 days), we experienced some rain here in Philly. It was a strange morning, to say the least. There was a mist that bordered on light rain during my morning commute, enough to cause a slight disturbance but not enough to be a burden. Ya know, just enough to get the ground wet to make things treacherous. Ha...I wasn't too upset about it. At least the temperature was somewhat normal, and surprisingly, there was very little wind. I'll take that any day.

Things evened out for a little bit, and I was able to finish my route without any noticeable precipitation. I still had the rain cover on just in case, which did necessitate an extra trip to one of my larger volume clients:


It really wasn't that bad. What was bad was when I rode all the way home and realized I'd forgotten to clock out. It causes all sorts of other issues when this happens, so rather than have to deal with those come pay day, I decided to ride all the way back to my plant to take care of it today. By this time, the weather was just overcast, so it really wasn't a big deal.

I was on my way back to Center City when I got a call from a co-worker maybe a mile from the facility. He asked about ordering spare bike tubes. I told him I might actually have a few, but they were back at the plant and I'd have to go back to get them. So I did, then took the additional detour to his location to drop them off before finally heading to the office. All this in the span of about an hour added an additional 8-ish miles to my "light" day. I really didn't mind, but it was unexpected for sure.

After work, I headed to my former employer and occasional volunteer organization the Strengthening Health Institute. Back in December, I delivered food for them in exchange for...food. I did it again today and likely will be for the next few days. By now, there was only light cloud cover and ideal conditions for riding:


I use the term "ideal" loosely, because there's all kinds of road construction happening around these parts, so I had to take a few unexpected detours on that ride too. No one wants their food all shaken up or spilled all over the bag. Still, I can't stress enough how beautiful the evening turned out to be from a weather perspective. Blue skies, yo:


Wednesday was definitely not a light day, but as most of it was spent on a bike, that makes it a good day. 25 in the books, 5 more to go. Where have you gone, 30 Days of Biking?

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment