Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Sky of Gray, and Day of Green

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 358.8


I was all over the place yesterday, just like the weather seems to be lately. I can't believe some of you were reporting snow in April. That's just crazy talk.

Anyway, I was up in the far north section of my territory for a drop off at Temple University. I happened to ride right past the Temple Community Garden. It's been a number of years since I stopped by, so I did, even if no one was there:


Community gardens like these are starting to become more common in Philly and other urban areas. This one's particularly neat to me because of the greenhouse/lab structure. It's got a recycled cork (or wood) siding, green roof, solar power, and rain buckets. Reminds me of my natural building days... Hopefully I'll get up this way on a nicer day later this Spring.

After finishing the route, I trekked my Wash Cycle over to Drexel Campus for their annual EarthFest featuring sustainably-minded local vendors and campus organizations. The turnout was modest for such a gray and windy April day:



I'm pretty sure the temperature dropped more than 10 degrees after I got there. By the end of the event, I was pretty cold. When I tell people I'm used to the elements, it comes with the caveat that I'm usually pedaling hundreds of pounds of laundry on a bike, which usually keeps me sufficiently warm. Standing still against the wind is an entirely different story. Regardless, I'm glad we went. It's always nice to spread the message of sustainability and green culture, even when you'd rather be indoors like this guy:


Full disclosure: I put him in there, so you could say this pic was staged, but no cats were harmed in the taking of this photo. I didn't expect him to stay long enough for the photo op, but he actually seemed pretty comfy. Maybe he does want to go for a ride?

It's a crisp but beautiful day today, so here's hoping this Autumn spell is finally behind us. On to day 18...

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment