Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Sweat it Out

30 Days of Biking Mileage Total: 170.6


The best laid plans of bikes and man often go awry.

About a week or so ago, I volunteered to help out a fellow cyclist by covering a portion of his route while he was off for the day, because the regular guy was unavailable. It really shouldn't have been a big deal.

BUT, last night I awoke around 1 AM with terrible stomach pains, which kept me awake until around 3-3:30 AM when I finally fed my dinner to the trash can. That's all that really needs to be said about that. I only got maybe 5 hours of sleep the night before I was supposed to cover two routes. Fun times.

Needless to say, I was moving in slow motion today. If I could have called out, I would have. I don't know if I got food poisoning or if it's just a stomach flu, but I could barely keep anything down, and delivering laundry (an everyday task for me) seemed like climbing a mountain. It felt like I was severely hung over even though I'd only had a couple glasses of wine with dinner last night.

I thought maybe sweating a little bit would actually be good for getting it out of my body faster. That enthusiasm faded pretty quickly, because nearly everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I got another flat (2nd within a week), one of the e-bike assist batteries mysteriously died, and for whatever reason, everyone seemed to have much more laundry today than a normal day. More laundry is usually a good thing, but as the day wore on, I just wanted to be done with it.

The positive in all of this was that there was no rain to be seen, even in partly cloudy, cold, and windy conditions:


And my GPS screwed up again, leading to a rather humorous mileage total for the morning route:


The actual total was about 14.5 miles (approximated from GoogleMaps). I think I'm going to have to stop using the work phone to log work-related mileage. I ended up having to split things up between 3 separate legs, and I used my own bike for a few of the smaller deliveries. I actually only logged .5 mile more today than yesterday, but it was an arduous 33.3 miles. I've never been so excited to see my couch.

I'm not gonna blow a bunch of sunshine up your butt: today was awful. Thankfully it's over. On to day 11...

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment