Thursday, April 1, 2021

Day 1 of 30: Cold Open

I did little throwback to my TV days with that title. ;)

Anyway, it is day one of 30 Days of Biking, and in true expect the unexpected fashion, even the forecast I read didn't adequately prepare me for the bone-chilling cold we experienced here in Central Ohio. We actually lucked out. I heard Cleveland received snow, and that's not an April Fool's joke.

As I usually do, I awoke at 5:15AM and checked the temperature: 25°F. I have an unofficial tradition of riding to work on day one, but that wasn't going to happen this morning. If this had been a January day, when I knew I'd be riding to work to spend my day in the shop, I probably would have bundled up and gone for it. Not when I knew I'd be applying liquid fertilizer outside for the next 8 hours though...even I have my limits.

I instead opted to throw a bike in my trunk, as is my style around this time of year. Ya know, just in case I HAVE to use my car and I happen upon a place where a bike might come in handy. I was waiting on a co-worker and had some spare time this morning before heading out, so I took a quick lap around the parking lot just in case I couldn't make time for a ride later:


In a fantastic coincidence, today also happened to be the opening day of baseball season. After a long day of working outside, I arrived home just in time to catch the last few innings of the baseball match in which my favourite squadron, the Philadelphia Phillies, were playing against the Atlanta Baseball Team:


Spoiler alert: WE WON! We still had some daylight remaining, so I decided to brave the cold to take what you could call a "celebration" ride afterward:


Note the baseball-themed water tower. Also note, I still can't believe I'm wearing glittens just a few days after wearing shorts:

I'm told their actual name is "Norwegian Flip Tops." Whatever the name, they've been a staple since I was a camera operator back in the day. And with that, this post has come full circle. Day one in the books, and hopefully warmer days ahead. Stay safe out there, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment