Saturday, April 17, 2021

Day 16 of 30: Make Time for a Detour

I'm a day late putting this out, but better late than never, right?

Conditions have been quite chilly the last few days in Columbus, but very little or no rain to speak of, and because of that, it's been pretty nice to be on a bike. When temps are between the upper 30's and lower 50's, I find that I experience some of my best riding. It's that nice range where you can work hard enough just to keep warm, but not so hard that you're dying of heat exhaustion. We've had a few days in a row like this, and as a result, I was able to finish off the week with a fourth consecutive bike commute:


If you've been following along, this view might look a lot different than the views I typically experience on my commutes. That's because it is. Go figure.

After a busy Spring week at work, I have a loose tradition of taking a longer route home on Fridays. This one was only about 2 miles longer, but nonetheless longer. I took a detour westward to Westgate Park in Hilltop, if for no other reason than to just see something different and enjoy a moderately nice day:


Compared to the bungalows and strip malls I see for most of my ride home, this is really a nice change of scenery, even if it's *only* a mural:


Actually, I love murals. I don't mean to downplay the effort that goes into creating them. They were one of my favourite things to see when I lived in the city.

Anyway, I headed home from there and finished off my work week 4/5 in bike commutes, which really feels good to say, especially after working close to 50 hours this week. Bike commuting actually adds time to my commute, but in my opinion, it's time well worth it. Even more worth it, taking the time to make a short detour to "celebrate" making it through the week.

I'll finish up here with a humourous pic I took in the early morning yesterday, when the wind was biting at me a bit. I had layered up with a windbreaker, and put my buff around my ears to keep warm. Combined with my reflective vest that I wear for morning visibility on the road, my helmet, my hat, and the mask that I had to wear for the bus ride, well...write your own caption:

I have family coming to visit this weekend, so I may not have much time for adventures on the bike, but I am really looking forward to seeing them so I won't mind not being on a bike all that much! Have a great weekend, everyone.


30 Days of Biking 2021 Mileage Total: 172.2

No comments:

Post a Comment