Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Day 7 of 30: From Errands to Opportunity

Today marks day 7 of 30 Days of Biking, which means we're already about a quarter of the way through April if you can believe it. So far, I haven't had any adventures that I would say are truly "crazy" or out of the ordinary (at least for me), but I will say that I've done a good job of being opportunistic.

Case in point, I had to take my car to work today because of an errand on the other side of the city.
(Insert rant about Columbus' lack of transit or dependable public transportation system here)
In late afternoon, I found myself near Clintonville, not too far from where we lived when I first moved to Columbus. When I have to take my car to work, I usually tag a bike along with me just in case, so I can take advantage of opportunities like these:


That's on the Olentangy Trail, a trail I don't frequent much these days due to its distance from my house. These days, I'll never pass up an opportunity to bike outside of my neighborhood. I always enjoyed this trail because of its mostly wooded scenery, with occasional turn off locations that lead directly into busy neighborhoods, bars, breweries, and etc.

I've actually been meaning to get over this way for quite some time to see the new trail extension the city built along Bethel Road, which is a road I would literally drive every day to get to work when I wasn't biking. They did a really cool thing by digging a tunnel to go under the on-ramp and bypass some of the traffic in the area:




This would have come in handy when we actually lived in the area. Whatcha gonna do?

The extension ends (more or less) a half mile away at a rather busy intersection:



If you dare to cross Bethel Road (there are signals, of course), your reward is the Anheuser Busch Sports Park:


It's not much more than a playground and a bunch of ballfields, but nonetheless, I'd never seen it before today, so this counts as my new park of the week, so there's that. Despite a rather tame end point, all in all it was a good day to spend an hour biking on a trail:

There is some rain in the forecast tomorrow, so I'll have to be extra opportunistic, I guess. Happy one week, everyone. I hope you've had the chance to get out and ride a bike or do something enjoyable outdoors! Let's keep it going...


30 Days of Biking 2021 Mileage Total: 68.0

No comments:

Post a Comment