Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bike-apella

30 Days Mileage Counter
Bike: 128.5 Miles
Car: 215 Miles
Accurate as of 6:30PM 4/10/16

***Some of the links may be NSFW, just FYI***

Today, I recaptured some of the #30daysofbiking ambitiousness I had envisioned for this weekend. It also happens that I was FINALLY able to resume my Sunday Cycling Series. It was quite an adventure, both physically and mentally.

Like any journey, it starts with the first step (or pedal), and today, I decided to pay a visit to my favorite Vietnamese French Pastry Shoppe:

Apparently I'm the only one crazy enough to ride my bike there in 35 degree weather.

He wears his sunglasses inside

Side note: this place has the best vegan lunch in South Philly, a $4.50 tofu banh-mi, if you're ever in the area.

Writing is a hobby of mine, and it really helps to keep me sane. I'm a big fan of it, and the neat little journal I picked up 2 years ago in Wellsboro:

And you thought it was a comic book

I write a lot on this blog. You'd be surprised how often I write in there too. Most of those writings will never see the light of day (hopefully), but just in case I meet my untimely demise before I save the world, you can find my manifestos in there. Anywho...

I spent about an hour pouring my heart out to myself and relaxing to the smooth sounds of coffee shop banter, but I was rather excited for what was in store today (which I'll get to eventually - it's called foreshadowing). To save time (and leg fatigue) getting to my destination, I took the train for the first time in what feels like forever:

Obligatory Menzingers reference

I disembarked in North Philly at Olney, which, unless you have a purpose to go there, isn't a destination I recommend:

I guess it doesn't look so bad on the surface

It's in a "classic" North Philly neighborhood, a sad victim of post-industrial America, white flight, urban decay, whatever other terms you choose to use. In daylight, it's really not so bad to ride through. For one thing, there are ample bike lanes:

And graffiti that doubles as a sign

For the record, I didn't stop at the Breakfast Boutique.

After a ride through the far north, lower suburbs and a mere 5.6 miles later, I was in Glenside:

And again, the only one who was crazy enough to ride a bike today

There were a surprising amount of hills in those 5.6 miles. That's suburban riding for ya...my reward to myself was this fantastic nitro stout from LongTrail at the Keswick Tavern:

So beautiful, I can see myself in it

My family joined shortly thereafter, we shared a meal and FINALLY the whole purpose of this strange journey, Straight No Chaser at the Keswick Theatre:

Which looks half-Bavarian and half-art-deco. Neat place tho.

I don't think I mentioned this on this blog before, but I don't really do New Year's Resolutions. I decided to try one this year: to see a new band at least once a month. Straight No Chaser is not new to me, but I'd never seen them live before today:

They had signs that said no photos, and then the band encouraged us to take photos. So there.

I was more than entertained. In fact, I love these guys. They're 100% acapella, totes ala Pitch Perfect. In addition to excellent sounds and song selection (minus that Hozier tune which I won't name), they also made a "Best Words" joke. Best random day out with Mom, Sis and bro-in-law ever. By the way, 2 of them hail from the Lehigh Valley (hometown-ish reprazent!). I could write more, but I'm not a music critic, and I've already gone way off topic. We move on...

So, the best way to come down from the high of an amazing performance is a grueling bike ride (unless you enjoy it, like me). I thought this was cute:

I'm not sure of the sign design, but thanks, Glenside.

The 5.6 miles back to the train station were even more difficult than the ride to the show. Ya know, because I'd had a couple, I ate, and I was already tired to begin with...BUT, when I reached the intersection where I should have turned to go to Olney, I had a "F*** it" moment and decided to go straight, opting to "explore" more of North Philly instead.

You're right. I am crazy. Exploring North Philly normally means taking your life in your own hands, as the streets make some rather odd turns, they're not in the best shape, and often a person of my nature is nowhere to be found. You also have to remember that I work around the area, so at the very least, I have a good sense of the geography, and in my 1ish year up there, I've figured out that if you don't act scared, most people won't even bother with you. So...

I spent a lot of time simply riding, not wanting to stop for obvious reasons, but I did make note of 2 things:


I wasn't sure what "Stenton" was supposed to be, but it's important enough to have a sign, apparently. Turns out, it's a rather historic mansion. Who knew?

Secondly, this, for all Phillies fans of the past decade or so:


Former Phillie and WFC Shane Victorino apparently dedicated a Boys & Girls Club in Nicetown, which is not so nice, just FYI. Maybe one day.

Finally, for a little perspective on just how far north I was riding, see if you can find Center City. I made it as obvious as possible:


All told, I logged 20.7 miles today, which doesn't seem like all that much on paper, but it felt like quite the odyssey to me: coffee shops, train stations, beer, food, music, family...I've had worse Sundays.

And luckily, I get to ride a bike to/from/at work tomorrow! 10 days down, 20 to go and a big week ahead of me (that's known as a teaser). Let's keep ridin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment