Monday, April 11, 2016

Overcast, Under The Weather, and a "Bike Loan"

30 Days Mileage Counter
Bike: 144.1 Miles
Car: 223 Miles
Train: 8 Miles

An eagle-eyed reader suggested that since I'm logging car mileage and biking mileage for #30daysofbiking, I should also keep track of train and bus mileage too. Fair enough. I don't anticipate that total going up greatly over the next 19 days, but there it is.

My not-so-typical Monday morning began with this:

Actually I ride one of these almost every day

Not-so-typical because I was expecting 2 bags from one client and they ended up sending 5, hence the overload. I know I'm logging mileage, but I would love to figure out how to add more weight (no pun intended) to Wash Cycling miles as opposed to regular cycling miles. I was thankful for the overcast skies, because otherwise, I would have been dripping in sweat after this haul. Great leg workout for sure.

Mondays are also strange because I have to use a ZipCar to head up to the far north of the city to service some of our homeless shelter clients (I mean, unless Wash Cycle would want to pay me to spend 2 hours on a bike delivering one client's linens...). Among the more annoying habits of some ZipCar users, I was greeted with this when I opened the door:

Thanks for basting the seatbelt in your ass-juice...

I mean, come on. In more cases than not, seatbelts save lives. I'd say this ranks in my top 5 worst pet peeves, and this happens way more often than it should. Seriously, not wearing a seatbelt is as careless as a motorcyclist/cyclist not wearing a helmet. They may be annoying, but they serve a purpose, just like snow plows. But anyway...

I remember a long time ago when the Eastern State Penitentiary was this mystical place that seemed full of character (which it still is), but since I park my bike across the street on an almost weekly basis when I pick up a ZipCar, it's lost a little bit of its charm:

It's still creepy as hell though

I managed to finish up just a few minutes early, so I used the extra time to take a slight detour on my way to the office:

I would have ran the stairs, but it was nearing lunch time.

Surprisingly, I logged over 15 miles today (and it's not over yet), but it seemed rather mundane compared to yesterday. I guess that's the impact of "work," even when you like your job. I also picked up a cold from all of my weekend outdoors-ness.

In any case, 11 down, 19 to go. You can almost cue the Bon Jovi.

On a completely related note, as I was walking in to the office today, my co-worker Noelle mentioned that she wouldn't have time to ride, so I loaned her my bike to take a spin around the block:

Shiny, happy people cycling

IT COUNTS! Happy Monday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment