Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Earth Day Part 1

30 Days Mileage Counter
Bike: 360.1
Car: 251
Train: 8

Part of this whole #30daysofbiking is to raise awareness of cycling, so it's only fitting that Earth Day would fall near the middle of this green initiative. After a brief morning route, I trekked the trike out to West Philly to represent Wash Cycle at Drexel University's Earth Day event:

Because they couldn't wait until the ACTUAL Earth Day for this

We had great table placement right at the top of the ramp, but I found this rather ironic:

I mean, technically it's not a BIcycle...

Our mild rebelliousness aside, things went well. I'm very much looking forward to doing it again at Jefferson University on Friday. Shameless plug: if you're in the area of 10th & Locust from 11-1, stop by! As for today, on top of a mild case of sunburn (which I actually enjoy - peeling is fun), I met some really cool women from the Drexel Dining Staff:

How ya like them apples?

They just so happened to be vegans, or at least vegan-curious. We chatted for a little while. Turns out Drexel's food service is actively promoting a whole-grain plant-based diet, and has also issued a "Go Vegan for Earth Day" challenge to students. Who knew?

Speaking of vegan, I decided to step out of bounds a bit today and help myself to my very first Dottie's Donut courtesy of Joe Coffee:

Stupid sun, melting everything and all...

It was pretty good, and dangerous. Let's just say I'm glad I ride a bike for a living. It keeps the guilt from hanging around too long.

Rather fittingly, we segue to a bit of an annoyance courtesy of our boys in blue. On my way back from Thompson St, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the city installed a bike lane on 15th St. just west of City Hall. That enthusiasm was short-lived, when I saw no fewer than 4 police vehicles parked in it:

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAHHHH

Listen, I'm not going to go on a rant here, but this is just a dick move. If I were a bike cop, I'd write them a ticket just to prove a point. If anyone knows of a good reason why all of these dudes were parking up the bike lane at City Hall today, let me know and I'll eat the damn crow. Until then, cue the NWA.

19 days down. Tomorrow should include a glorious trip to the sanitation centre, a root canal and a softball game. I'm looking forward to 1 of those things. Guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment