Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mr. Playoffs is Dead

30 Days Mileage Counter
Bike: 454.3
Car: 428
Train: 8

My plan to bike to watch the Flyers went according to plan today:


That is, if you ignore that I planned to watch them play while sitting at the bar...

Early this morning, I had some volunteer work to do for the SHI macrobiotic center. They're within a 10 minute walk of my house, but I decided to bike there, and take a 15-minute detour southbound to the sports complex just because. I wanted to feel out the atmosphere for Flyers/Capitals game 6, a game that largely shouldn't have happened. It was pretty tame at 10AM:


As I sat in the SHI office uploading audio files, that "itch" of sportsfandom started to rear its head, and I ended up buying a ticket to today's game on VividSeats. Sometimes it's better than StubHub. On a spur-of-the-moment decision, and for more than $20 less than face value (including fees), I found myself in one of the best places to watch a playoff hockey game:


And I wasn't the only one to ride my bike there!


Ultimately, we didn't win, but it was a well-played game. Some depressing stats: I now have been present for the last two Flyers' season-ending games. This was also my first playoff loss in 8 games, and the Flyers have lost 6 in a row with me in attendance. I think I need to revoke my in-person fandom for awhile... For a frame of reference for you die-hards, I haven't attended a Flyers' win since "Mr. Playoffs" Danny Briere and my favorite Cosmonaut Ilya Bryzgalov were bought out in 2013. Long time, eh?

In any case, it was still worth. By the way, the post-game handshake is still one of the better rituals in sports, and only found in hockey:


And finally, the Flyers gave us all some love:


Trying to avoid becoming a sportswriter on a biking blog, I'll keep it to this: we weren't supposed to make the playoffs in the first place, and to get to game 6 after being down 3-0 was a feat in and of itself. Well played, Flyers. Now we cheer for the Caps to beat the Penguins, because fuck those guys.

I headed across the parking lot to be gouged at XFuckity Live! after the game, and the sea of orange was still in full effect:


Some Jersey douche felt the need to comment on my bike locking skills. Still have no idea what he was talking about. She held for over 2 hours, so whatever. After a couple more adult beverages, it was time to head home, but not before stopping by the "Vet":


I then rode up to the Royal Tavern for dinner, and to apologize for not following through on my promise to go there every game as long as the Flyers kept winning...all is well. Haha.

8.2 Miles is rather tame, but still solid. Happy Sunday.

6. More. Days. Wow, #30daysofbiking...everything but a playoff victory. I guess I can't hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment