Monday, April 25, 2016

Metal of Achievement

30 Days Mileage Counter:
Bike: 486.8
Car: 436
Train: 8

Happy freakin' Monday night, y'all! Today was super busy. Let's get right to it.

I had a brief moment of rest during my morning route when I spotted this old-timey bike sculpture on the back of a trailer, made entirely of forged cast iron:

I don't think that wheel is true...

This was somewhere in Northern Liberties behind the Piazza, but I was moving pretty fast this morning, so I didn't have much time to figure out details. It just looked cool, so I stopped. It had a New York plate on it, so I'm not sure if this is going up there or what, but pretty neat nonetheless Onward...

I set a personal record with the trike this morning. 425 pounds moved in 2 trips. If you think it might look a tad ridiculous, you're right:

I mean, I'm totally used to seeing a rickshaw pulling 11 bags on the daily

I'm so happy that Outward Bound is back on my schedule for the Summer. It's great exercise, they're great people, and it always gives me great social media material. A win/win/win.

The 2nd trip was even more ridiculous, as I had to carry a bag between my handlebars, AND the electric assist battery died. Try hauling this uphill:

Didn't even break a sweat...taking the picture

I'm surprised every time I do this and don't blow a tire. Kevlar belts FTW. Two trips there and back netted well over 6 miles. Total mileage after I got back from the office was over 23, and again, I wish I had a way to "weight" my Wash Cycle miles.

BUT, I wasn't done for today. We had a game tonite at the North Field at 5th & Master, so I chugged up there:

It's really tough to lock your bike to a fence sometimes

I'm super pissed because we lost 13-12 to one of the best teams in the league, and in the last inning, I hit lead-off when we were tied. I was 2-2, but of course I grounded out and we never recovered. Blame me, I guess.

I'm always hungry after games, so I'm always looking for something to do. Randomly, I spotted the Independence Beer Garden on 6th St. (I never take this route home) and stopped in. Behold the alien beer:

And my bike faintly in the background

It was a Yard's Wheat Ale. I've had better. The hummus and pita were decent tho.

Add another 32.5 miles on from today and I'm officially out-gaining my car mileage by over 50, AND it looks like 500 cycling miles for the month could happen tomorrow!

So what up, #30daysofbiking? We only have 5 more days, and I'm already going to miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment