Friday, April 15, 2016

Death, Taxes, Cycling: A Perspective

30 Days Mileage Counter
Bike: 239.6 Miles
Car: 223 Miles
Train: 8 Miles

It was more difficult to frame this than you might think

Today is Tax Day. It's also "Hump Day" of #30daysofbiking. It's also the day my biking mileage officially surpassed my driving mileage. Only took 2 weeks!

That kind of puts things into perspective, doesn't it? I didn't have a large adventure today - riding to, from and during work (still to the tune of 17.8 miles) - so if you'll indulge me...

2 weeks to equal what was done in not much more than a few hours in a car. I'll say this: it's been worth it. It's required a lot of effort, but every step of this short journey has been rewarding. I mean, my legs and my butt are already in Summer shape, so there's that.

But more than superficiality, I've found out that this has become my way of life. Anything I do commute-wise, I want to do on a bike if at all possible. Before I agreed to do this challenge, it seemed a little daunting, even for someone who rides 5 days a week for work. Now, I feel like it's all but certain I'll succeed.

There's no great trophy to be had in the end. This is totally something we're doing just for the sake of doing it (and also to raise awareness, etc. yadda yadda yadda). I'm absolutely floored by how many people I've inspired, and in turn, how inspiring it's been to be connected with others who have inspired me on this trek. You'll meet a few of them tomorrow.

We're halfway there - 15 down, 15 to go. Happy Friday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment